Welcome to Social Media Insider — a special FREE version.
We use Moneyball tactics to discover undervalued, mispriced, and hidden gem social media accounts for sale.
(New here? Read our primer on buying & selling social media accounts)
Table of Contents
How it works
- We monitor public and private marketplaces where social media accounts are for sale (Fameswap, Trustiu, and more)
- Next, we scrape the data and feed into our database
- After removing the junk (the bottom 80% – 90% of accounts), we then compare against our benchmarks to uncover the most statistically undervalued assets
- We apply a proprietary formula to determine the Inferred Value
- Finally, we do moderate due diligence to ensure the sale is worth considering
Today we have an Instagram account worth considering in the pets niche, along with a special new feature for Insiders.
New: Social Media Accounts Database
First, we are pleased to announce a brand new feature for Insiders: The Social Media Accounts Database!
We’ve wanted to bring you this for a while now. After some refinement, it’s now ready for prime-time.
What’s in the database?
The database pulls in active listings from Fameswap and Trustiu. It’s an embedded Airtable, so you can sort & filter the data as needed.
This is essentially the same database we use to find great deals. But we’ve removed some of the junky data, and pre-hidden irrelevant columns and fields to make sorting easier.
Tips for using the database
- The database is updated twice per month. If you don’t see anything you like, check again later
- Try sorting by the last five columns, especially Price per 1,000 Followers. These derivative metrics will give you a great starting point for your exploration.
- If you see a good deal, reach out to the sellers directly through the platform. But don’t let them know their asset is undervalued. (As we’ve written about in the past, nobody really knows how to price their social media accounts, so you can find some crazy good deals!)
Remember: This database is exclusively for Insiders. Want an upgrade?
Now, here’s a high-scoring account we like
Asking Price: $2,500
Inferred Value: $6,740
An Instagram account that posts mostly re-shared images, memes, and facts about pitbulls. It has 281,000 subscribers and is growing very rapidly.
Although it’s a business account, it does not appear to be aggressively monetized. The seller is linking to BrainTraining4Dogs.com in the profile. It would be good to find out the nature of this affiliate relationship.
Engagement is excellent. Average likes per post is over 10x the benchmark. The “weak” spot is in price per 1,000 comments, which is only 4x higher than the median (still very good!)
Audience is 80% male, with heavy followers from Brazil, Argentina, and South America. Interestingly, all posts are in English, even though nearly half the audience speaks Spanish or Portuguese.
No posts have gone hyper-viral (over a million likes), but a few have come close. Mostly just consistent posting with consistent results.
The seller has another pitbulls account currently for sale (Pitbulls.dynasty). It would be worth trying to get both accounts in one single transaction.
Asking price is likely undervalued by $4,240
- Category: Pets & Animals
- Followers: 281,000 (Benchmark: 11,600)
- Posts: 897 (Benchmark: 137)
- Avg Likes: 7,646 per post (Benchmark: 637)
- Avg Comments: 63 per post (Benchmark: 9)
- Avg Views: 63,353 per video
- Engagement: 3% (Benchmark: 4%)
- Followers per post: 313 (Benchmark: 85)
- Price per 1k followers: $8.90 (Benchmark: $18.87)
- Price per 1k likes: $.36 (Benchmark: $2.29)
- Price per 1k comments: $44.23 (Benchmark: $162)
- Price per point of engagement: $833 (Benchmark: $157)