New here? Read up on our past Sports Memorabilia issues to get the most from this post.
May 10th, 2022 | ± 4 minutes
- An update on Sports Memorabilia performance for the year & last week
- All you need to know about any new IPOs & memorabilia at auction
- The scoop on undervalued, mispriced and hidden gems
Sports Memorabilia performance in 2022
The Sports Memorabilia index seems to have found a floor.
Last week in Sports Memorabilia
Fractional secondary markets
With the index relatively flat, the two major components were also flat as basketball and baseball memorabilia saw little price action on the week.
Sports photographs were the lone bright spot, helped by a 19% gain on the Collectable Type III Lou Gehrig photo.
The Collectable 1996 Kobe Bryant Rookie Game Worn and Signed Sneakers received a buyout offer for $152,500 ($11.55/share); it last traded at $8.00; inferred value was $36,000 prior to the buyout offer.
The Goldin Jackie Robinson 75th anniversary auction closed on May 2. While the headline Jackie Robinson game-used Dodgers jersey didn’t meet its reserve price, other memorabilia pieces did change hands.
- Stephen Curry 2010 game-used Warrior white jersey – final sale price of $51,600; one of the earlier Curry game-worn jerseys that has come up for sale.
- 2014 Kobe Bryant game-used LA Lakers White Home Jersey Photomatched to 3 games – final sale price of $115,200; (Collectable has a 2006/07 Bryant jersey photo matched to 8 games trading with a current market cap of $321,540)
- Luka Doncic game-used Mavericks Blue Statement Edition Jersey – final sale price of $39,000. (Collectable has a Doncic rookie jersey that is photo-matched to 9 games trading at a current market cap of $396,705)
This Week and Next Week
Fractional Market IPOs
‘06-’07 Alexander Ovechkin Game-Worn Capitals Jersey – Photomatched 6 games
- Market Cap: $50,500
- Retained Equity: $2,273 (4.5%)
- Inferred Value: $66,000
- Drop: 5/10/2022 on Collectable
- Our View: Buy (valuation/scarcity of older game-worn Ovechkin jerseys; Ovechkin projects to end his career as 2nd all-time on the NHL’s goal-scoring list; a jersey from one year earlier during Ovechkin’s rookie season sold for $111,930 at Goldin in April 2020; additional photo-matching since this jersey’s last sale has added further provenance to asset’s history)
The Heritage May 12-14 sports catalog auction concludes this week. Some items of note are:
- Tom Brady 624th Career Touchdown Pass Football – currently at $14,400. This isn’t Brady’s infamous “final” touchdown pass football that dominated the headlines for several weeks due to the unfortunate timing of Brady’s un-retirement announcement. This football was from the previous game and is Brady’s “last” regular-season TD pass, at least for the next several months (or if Tommy Boy changes his mind once again).
- A Mickey Mantle 1951 Debut Opening Day Ticket (PSA 1) – currently at $46,800. (Collectable has the same ticket with an Authentic grade with a market cap of $111,250 that has yet to begin trading).
- 1992 Tiger Woods 1st PGA Event Rate Yellow Variation Full Ticket (Authentic) – currently at $12,600. (Collectable has a different variation of this ticket from the same event that is graded PSA 6 and is in early IPO access with a $88,550 market cap)
- 1958 World Cup Brazil vs. USSR Ticket Stub Pele Debut (PSA 1) – currently at $9,000; Rally has the same ticket in a half grade higher (PSA 1.5); this ticket has had some recent disappointing results, so keep an eye out to see if the trend continues.
- 1988/89 Partick Roy and 1991/2000 Jaromir Jagr Game Worn Jerseys – currently at $8,400 and $5,520, respectively; a relatively low-cost option to get game-worn exposure to two of hockey’s all-time greats.